Cook County and villages of Will County
1) Olympia Fields,IL- A predominantly elite African American village in Cook County with 68.9% Black, 24.4% White and 2.5% Hispanic in 2010. Their village president is Debbie Meyers-Martin. It is a very beautiful suburb. I have a relative who has lived in this village for a very long time. R&B musician and singer R.Kelly in fact had an estate in this village.
2) Matteson, IL- Another predominantly elite suburb of African Americans in Cook County with 78% Blacks, 14.6% Whites and 4.3% Hispanics. Their village president is Andre B. Ashmore.
3) Country Club Hills, IL- Another predominantly African American suburb with 84.1%, 7.9% white and 3.6% Hispanic in 2010. Their mayor is James W. Ford. I have relatives who have been living in Country Club Hills for a while, and I frequently visit and shop here. They also have a strong, African American government.
4) Flossmoor, IL- This suburb, in 2013, has 47.4% of African Americans, 41.0% Whites and 3.7% of Asians. It's near the suburb of Olympia Fields and Homewood, IL.
5) Glenwood, IL- Has a percentage of 65.9% African American, 24.4% whites and 7.4% Hispanics. They have a good diverse of African Americans in government for its village.
6) Lynwood, IL- Has a percentage of 65.3% African American, 25.1% white and 7.3% Hispanic. Lynwood also has a Black mayor name Eugene Williams.
7) Homewood, IL- Has a percentage of 33.7% African Americans, 56.5% of whites and 5.9% Hispanics. It's located near Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, and Glenwood.
8) Hazel Crest, IL- Located next to Country Club Hills, it has a percentage of 82.7% African American, 8.3& White and 5.9% Hispanic. It's village president is Vernard Alsberry, Jr. There's also a village called East Hazel Crest, however, Hazel Crest and East Hazel Crest are governed by two different presidents and has their own government.
9) Dolton, IL- Located two minutes away from Chicago, near the suburbs South Holland and Calumet City with 90.4% of African Americans, 5.3% Whites and 2.7% Hispanics. The mayor of Dolton is Riley H. Rogers.
10) Burnham, IL- Located approximately two minutes away from Chicago as well; it has a population of 61.5% African American, 19.1% Hispanic and 17.3% White. The mayor is Robert Polk.
11) Dixmoor, IL- Located near Posen and Harvey, Dixmoor has a Black population of 52.3%, 35.5% Hispanic and 11.1% of Whites. The mayor of Dixmoor is Dorothy Armstrong.
Here are other notable predominantly Black and/or townships, villages or cities, that at least has a Black demographic presence:
Harvey, Richton Park, Sauk Village, Chicago Heights, Ford Heights, Posen, Tinley Park, Oak Forest, Orland Park, Steger and Thornton. Harvey has an African American mayor, as well as Ford Heights, which I believe is the same mayor for Lynwood, IL.
Here are suburbs outside of Chicago, located in Will County:
1) Frankfort, IL
2) University Park, IL
3) Crete, IL
4) Monee, IL
Contributed by Aj
The articles on this site are provided as a public service and to be used for information purposes only. BlackCityinfo.com does not accept any responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of the article content. Use at your own risk.
BlackCityinfo.com does not endorse or recommend any article on this site or any product, service or information found within said articles. Resources and links included in said articles are only suggested as sources for further exploration, but we cannot vouch for or take responsibility for information contained in these resources. The opinions and views of the authors who have submitted articles to BlackCityinfo.com belong to them alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of BlackCityinfo.com.